Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gratitude

There are many things for which I am grateful. However, spending a week in Morocco has made me more aware of how lucky I am to have been born in America.

By the standards of many in this world, I am spoiled, pampered, and incredibly rich.

As an American, I take many material things for granted.
  • Shelter: I have a home that would be considered a palace by billions of people in this world. A home with bathrooms, that does not leak in the rain, has windows to provide light, has beds for sleeping, has chairs for sitting, has a table for eating . . .
  • Running water: At the turn of a faucet, I have clean water to drink, to bathe in, to cook with, to wash my clothes in, to flush toilets with, and so many other things that I cannot even imagine.
  • Electricty: At the flick of a switch, I can turn a dark room bright, turn a cold room warm, heat my water, refrigerate and cook my food, wash my clothes, wash my dishes, and so many other things that I take for granted.
  • Food: I have grocery stores everywhere, all with more food than I can possibly eat, including fresh, healthy produce; safe and sanitary meat, poultry, and fish; fresh dairy products of all sorts; and anything else my taste buds could want.
  • A Job & Money: I have a great job, one that provides me with enough money so I can afford to pay for the things for which I am grateful.
  • Transportation: I have two cars that take me where I need to go, and they are safe and reliable, with heat, air conditioning, a radio, seat belts, and room to hold anything I need to transport.
  • Clothes: I have far more than I can wear and everything that I need to be warm and dry from head to toe.
  • Doctors & Medicine: I can go to the doctor for whatever ails me. I can also go to one of those aforementioned grocery stores or a drug store and buy medicine for almost anything that ails me.
  • Equal Rights: As a woman, I can expect to live, work, and be treated as fairly as a man.
  • Education: I received an excellent education as both a child and an adult. For this, I am grateful both to my country, which provides free education to every child, and to my parents, who financed most of my college education. How fortunate I was to be able to educate myself well enough to be gainfully employed!
  • Freedom of Religion: I can practice any religion I choose.
I know there is more, so much more, that I cannot even think of because I expect it - things that I take for granted that others may never experience in a full lifetime.

I am also thoroughly grateful for the ability to travel. Without the ability, desire, and interest in traveling, I would not have the wonderful opportunity to see that which I have seen, and I would also not be reminded to appreciate that which I have.

And, of course, I am grateful for my friends and family. Without them, where would I be?

Love to all!!

No comments: